For five days in June, The Moving Wall traveling Vietnam Veterans memorial was on display in Harrisonville. Officials estimate 35,000 people paid their respects to those whose names are on The Wall, while it was in town.
On June 27, thousands gathered in a grassy lot to the north of Mill Walk Mall for an opening ceremony welcoming The Wall to Harrisonville. Vietnam War veteran Wes Cunningham welcomed his fellow Vietnam veterans home to begin the ceremony. Following Cunningham, Mayor Judy Bowman welcomed The Wall to Harrisonville and a prayer was offered up by Harrisonville United Methodist Church pastor Kevin Shelton. Gold Star families, Vietnam War veterans and other United States military veterans were honored during the event. Following the ceremony, the Gold Star families and Vietnam War veterans were escorted through The Wall.
The Wall was open to the public 24 hours each day during its visit.
View all images. - Images captured by City of Harrisonville, South Cass Tribune, Vanessa Hargrave, Jake Kohl and Chad Middaugh.
Opening Ceremony - Captured by Vista Productions.
Drone footage - Captured by Jake Kohl and Chad Middaugh.
"Wall Unveils Variety of Emotions" - South Cass Tribune
"Bringing Moving Wall Fulfills Dream" - South Cass Tribune
"A great chance to talk about veterans’ stories inspire us all" - South Cass Tribune
"Moving Wall Comes to Harrisonville" - Cass County Democrat Missourian
"Replica of Vietnam Wall on display in Harrisonville this weekend" - Fox4 News WDAF
"Vietnam 'Moving Wall'" - KMBC9 News
Although it is impossible to list each person that made The Moving Wall so successful and memorable, the following list hopefully covers the businesses, groups, organizations and committees that the City of Harrisonville is grateful for and send our thanks to:
- Family Center Farm & Home
- Vista Productions
- Max Motors
- Ed and Gail Roberts
- John Foster Construction
- Western Missouri Carpenters Training Unit
- South Cass Tribune
- Harrisonville Emergency Services
- Cass County Commissioners Office
- Harrisonville Chamber of Commerce
- Harrisonville Public Works Department
- Harrisonville Parks and Recreation Department
- Missouri Department of Transportation
- Spirit of Independence Concert Band
- Vietnam Veterans of America #243
- Country Creek Golf Club
- Harrisonville Elementary School - 2nd grade classes
- Missouri State Highway Patrol Troop A
- Cass County Sheriffs Department
- Cass County Sheriffs Academy
- Cass County Sheriffs Auxillary
- Missouri Army National Guard #1139
- Harrisonville High School Boys Basketball Team
- Patriot Riders & American Legion Riders
- American Legion Post #42
- Harrisonville VFW Post #4409
- Sudheimer U-Haul
- Garden Gate Floral
- WCA Waste Corporation
- Bela Flor Nurseries
- Branding Iron BBQ
- Mazzio's Pizza
- Dunkin Donuts
- The Garage Burgers & Brew
- Serenity Hospice Care
- Heart of Life Church/The Vault
- Antioch Southern Baptist Church
- Ball's Price Chopper
- Sam's Club
- Cass County Historical Society
- Harrisonville Rotary Club
- Harrisonville Lions Club
- Harrisonville Kiwanis Club
- CCSORTA & VIPS
- Harrisonville, Raymore, Belton, Peculiar, Archie and Pleasant Hill Police Departments.
- Stafford & Stafford Insurance Inc.
- Edward Jones
- Bethel Assembly of God, Garden City
- Cass County Assessor's Office
- Crown Care Center
- Garden City Boy Scout Troop 244
- Christian Motorcyclist Association - Harrisonville Chapter
- Joshua House - Two Rules Ministries
- Training Center Christian School, Garden City
- Harrisonville Royal Guard Band Boosters
- Ray-Pec Optimist Club
- Order of the Eastern Star - Bayard Chapter 179
- Golden Years
- Cass Career Center FFA members
- 1251st Transportation Company, U.S. Army
- American Legion Auxiliary Post 57
- Boy Scout Troop 1111
- Boy Scout Troop 1210
- Boy Scout Troop 1242, Archie
- Boy Scout Troop 160
- Boy Scout Troop 1621
- Boy Scout Troop 1003
- Elks Lodge 2791
- Harrisonville High School FIRST Robotics Team 2164
- Harry Truman Sons of the American Revolution & VFW Post 1000
- Hawthorn Bank of Harrisonville
- Missouri Patriot Paws
- Redwood Post Acute Network
- Troutt, Beeman & Co.
- U.S. Army
Chairpersons & Committee members for the following: Fundraising, Construction, Volunteer Services, Parking, Media/Publicity, Medical, Security, Program, Signage and Information.
All businesses, organizations and individuals who made financial donations and all volunteers and organizations who gave of their time, talents and services.